This year we are walking in the Candlelighters Fun Walk and I would love for you to support us! We are walking in honor of our son, Alex, a 2-time acute myeloid leukemia and bone marrow transplant survivor and for Cody, his brother and bone marrow transplant donor, and all the families who faced childhood cancer. I know that Candlelighters makes a difference in the lives of childhood cancer families each and every day.
Candlelighters is an organization that provides daily services for childhood cancer families and the Fun Walk raises money for those services and programs which are offered FREE to children with cancer and their families. This has obviously changed quite a bit since COVID-19 hit, and I'm happy to be able to provide real-time results of how Candlelighters has adapted their processes to continue their mission throughout this trying time.
Here's how you can help:
1. Get inspired – watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=404So08XlsY
2. Register for the Fun Walk by clicking the blue button at the top of this page that says "Join Team" and partner with me to raise vital funds for Candlelighters and childhood cancer families
3. Make a donation – even $13 helps by paying for one day of parking for a Candlelighters family!
4. Share about the Fun Walk with your family and friends and ask that they join you on Walk Day – Saturday, September 12 – and walk no matter where you are in Houston, or beyond! We’ll all be walking together!
Here's what Fun Walk donations will be used toward this year:
1. Hospital Parking Assistance - Candlelighters has still been able to provide hospital parking financial assistance to families digitally
2. Emotional Support - families more than ever before are nervous to leave their homes, feeling isolated, being torn apart (thanks to hospital visitor restrictions) and we've been ramping up all our peer-to-peer support efforts. Our weekly support group meetings have grown, and Candlelighters Parent Consultants (staff who are also parents of childhood cancer survivors) are working around the clock to touch base and check-in with our families and their needs.
3. Gas Cards & Grocery Cards - these have been Candlelighters top request throughout the COVID-19 crisis as families more than ever are strapped for basic needs thanks to furloughs and layoffs.
4. Memorial Funds - cancer hasn't quit unfortunately. Children are still being diagnosed and gaining their angel wings. Candlelighters provides financial assistance for families to hold memorial services for their children.
In addition to Candlelighters daily efforts, they're staying on top of the CDC and American Oncology Camping Association message boards to make the best decision for their weekend family camp, Camp CLIFF. The Fun Walk usually completely funds this weekend getaway for Candlelighters families – a getaway that is much needed from the daily grind of a childhood cancer diagnosis. Should camp be unable to happen this fall, it is Candlelighters goal to be able to provide a virtual camping experience and activities for families instead of a physical weekend getaway.
Thank you for supporting our Team efforts for this amazing organization! Whatever you can give, thank you for helping all the children with cancer and their families that Candlelighters serves!